BIBLE STUDY – CHARACTERISTICS OF REVIVAL
MEMORY VERSE: Acts. 3:19 “Repent ye therefore and be convened, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.”
TEXT: Rev. 1:19-2o, 2:1-29; 3:1-22
INTRODUCTION: Revival does not come by having so many churches around. Many of the old churches are dead and quite a number of the new ones are business centers. This kind of condition cannot bring revival.
Rev. 3:1-2 says “And to the Angel of the church in Sardis write.
These things saith He that has the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars. I know thy works, that thou has a name that thou livest, and are dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are to die. For l have not found thy works perfect before God.”
Many of the churches are either dead or ineffective. They may be making so much noise and they may think they are alive, but our Lord, Jesus Christ says “they are dead.”
The same is true of individuals in their personal relationship with God. 1Corit. 10:12 says “wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he falls’. A person may be thinking he is alive spiritually, but from God’s perspective, the fellow is dead.
You may be thinking you are still standing, when you are already lying ﬂat on the floor.
The greatest need of the hour is revival, both in the Body of Christ and also in the lives of individuals that constitute the Body.
In Lecture 1, God’s servant has given us extensive and exhaustive definitions of revival. One of the deﬁnitions given is found in Acts. 3:19 which says “Repent ye therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
We can see clearly from this passage that revival is:
1. A time of refreshing from the presence of the Lord.
2. A time of revitalizing by the Power of the Holy Spirit.
3. A time of quickening by the Power of resurrection – Rom. 8:11
4. A time of Spiritual invigoration.
5. A time of Spiritual rejuvenation.
6. A time of re-energising from above.
7. A time of Newness of life.
8. A time of restoration.
9. A time re-fueling.
10. A time of strengthening the weak in the secret place of the most high. Ps. 91.
CHARACTERISTICS PRECEDING REVIVAL
- Loss of Glory or lchabod syndrome — 15am. 4:10-22 Ps. 78:60-61
2. Loss of signals from Heaven. – 1 Sam. 3:1 Amos 8:11
3. Spiritual Dryness-People could no longer do exploits like our fathers in the faith – Paul, Peter and the Apostles and Apostle Ayo Babalola – Acts. 10:44-46. Act 17:6
4. Form of godliness without power— 2Tim. 3:5
5. Loss of favour with God — 15am. 3:19; Lk 2:51-52
6. Open rebellion against God — 1Sam. 2:12-27 wilfully sinning against God is an open rebellion against Him.
7. Spiritual Lukewarmness — Rev. 3:16
8. Loss of ﬁrst love and zeal for the things of God – Rev. 2:4
9. I Shame and mockery – Ps. 80:6 people will be asking where is your God.
10. Fear of persecution – Jn. 20:19
11. Repentance – 2 Chr. 7:11,
12. Loss of divine protection — Ps. 80:12
13. Stealing from God. — Malachi 3:8-12 thereby giving open invitation to wasters and devourers.
14. Closed Heavens and financial hardship.
15. Self-righteousness – Luke 18:9-14
16. Famine of hearers and doers of the word — Jas 1:22-25,Rom.2:13
17. Hunger and thirst for righteousness.
18. Lack of discernment.
19. Many believers are living in a backsliden condition – 2 Ti 4:10
20. No more signs and wonders – Mk. 16:17-20; Judges 6:13
21. No more Love among the followers of Jesus —Jn.13:34-35
22. Lack of aggressive soul – winning
23. Turning the doctrine of Grace into the doctrine of Balaam – Rev. 2:14
24. These false teachers make Christians who live in sin comfortable.
25. They teach people that Grace covers everything including fornication and adultery. Rom. 6:1-2 says “what shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are deed to sin, live any longer therein?
26. God’s people cry to Him for a time of refreshing – Ps. 80 :18
27. God’s people must re-pent before revival can come- 2Chr. 7:14
28. God’s people must acknowledge their sins and confess their transgressions unto the Lord before revival can come. Ps. 32:5
CHARACTERISTICS OF REVIVAL
1. God’s Presence must be felt in a tangible way – Act. 2:1-4
2. Transfer of Souls from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of God – Act. 2:4, 4:4; Col. 1:13
3. Great fear of God rests upon the church – Act. 5:11
4. No more lying to prophets of God. Acts. 5:1-10; 1 Kings.14,:1-18
5. All the gifts of the Holy Spirit will function through His servants especially the gift of discerning of spirits-Act. 8:18-23, Act 13:8-12.
6. Signs, wonders and great miracles are among the major characteristics of every true revival -Act 5:12; Acts. 19:11- 12
7. The world is turned upside down – Act. 17:6
8. There will be an increase in persecution and true disciples of Christ will not be afraid – Act. 4:33 says “Great Grace was upon the Apostle and they preached the gospel with Boldness and with great power.
9. Great and uncommon Anointing characterize every genuine revival.
10. It brings and aggressive approach to Praise and worship – Act. 16:25
11. It brings a new pattern of warfare prayers to pull down the strongholds of the enemy – Acts 4:23-33.
12. People are convicted of their sins Act. 2:37.
13. Restoration holy living and disciplined life 1 Corinth. 9:24-27
14. The God of fire is revealed and manifested in the lives of His servants.
15. The smoldering fire of Love is re-kindled in the hearts of the Brethren. —Rev. 3:2
16. A new wave of great faith in the word and Bible study.
17. Absolute obedience to God.
18. Believers live and walk daily in the miraculous.
19. New spiritual insight and great revelations are received from Heaven – Act 26:13-19
2o. Many are baptized with the Holy Ghost and with fire — Mt.3:11
21. Believers pray without ceasing. Act. 12
22. They break bread and receive Holy Communion regularly – Acts. 2:42.
23. Astounding testimonies -— Rev. 12:11
24. Great concern for the poor and the down trodden – orphans and widows are taken care of.
25. Rededication and commitment to divine assignments corporately and individually -Act. 15:6-35
26. Backsliders are restored.
27. A release of Abraham’s Blessings upon God’s people. Gal.3:13-14
28. A great rejoicing on Earth and in Heaven as a result of aggressive evangelism – Act. 8:8, Lk. 15:10
KEYS TO REVIVAL
1. Burden for revival must be evident in the hearts all true disciples of Christ-individually and corporately.
2. Quality and genuine repentance from the sins of Lukewarmness and backsliding must be made before God.
3. Christians must gather together regularly with one accord and cry unto God to send revival.
4. We must return to our ﬁrst love — Rev. 2:4.
5. Warn people against the doctrine of Balaam that is being propagated within the church of Christ – Rev. 2:11,
6. Prayer for Mercy must be made without ceasing by the church unto God for the church – Rom. 1:8-9
7. Believers must intercede on behalf of unbelievers to be converted – Gal. 4:19; Col. 1:13.
8. Believers should start calling “those things that be not as though they were’ Rom. 4:17.
IN CONCLUSION: We are presently in last of the last days. The Lord can come back for His elect anytime from now. A large part of the church is in a backsliding state and the whole world is waxing stronger and stronger in wickedness and open rebellion against God. We cannot continue to sit on the fence and believe that all will be well. We must all rise up and cloth ourselves with the New Man in meekness righteousness and holiness and cry unto God collectively and individually to send His Latter Rain and revive us again in the name of Jesus Christ. (Amen). Eph. 4:24; Col. 3:12.
PRAYER POINT: Lord God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, send Your latter rain and revive us again, in the name of Jesus.